When a building collapses the first thing that comes to mind is the foundation. The foundation is the most important part of the building as it determines how long the building will last and it’s capacity. Likewise as humans our foundation matters it is what determines how far and how impacting and fulfilling our life is.
“For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid which is Jesus Christ”
– 1 corinthians 3:11
Paul further explained this metaphor slightly in Ephesians when he said that the household of God is “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, which Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone” (Ephesians 2:20).
All that we know about Jesus and the words of the prophets and apostles are found in the Bible. So the Bible(the word of God) is the fundation upon which we build our Christian faith. The word of God is the source of the Be-Attitude.
“All scriptures is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
– 2 Timothy 3:16-17
This verse tells us that the word of God is an essential part of our living a successful life.
Why is the Bible important to the Believer
- The Bible was inspired by the one who designed us. Though the Bible was written by different authors, the thought were given to them by God and they were protected as they wrote without error. The author of the Bible also is the engineer who designed us. He knows what is ultimately good for us, so He has given these instructions to help us live a life established in his live and purpose.
- The Bible is our infallible guide most us have planned schedule and documents which help us guide our lives but all of this are subjected to change, but the word of the God never changes as God never changes (1sam 15:29 ; Mal 3:6).
- The Bible is designed for our common good and not to restrict us. The biblical principles are not just arbitrary rules God thought of to see if His creations would obey Him. These guidelines are designed to help human function properly in the society.
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path.”
– psalms 119:105
With the guidelines we live happy and productive lives, without them we live, miserable and frustrating lives.
HOW DO ONE SUBMIT TO THE AUTHORITY OF GOD’S WORD
- You must know the Bible. This means you must read it daily. It also means you must study it. One of the good ways to study the Bible is to memorize it. Also take news when you read the Bible. The psalmist declared, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (psalm 119:11). Unless you spend time hiding the bible in your heart you will never really know it.
- You must believe the Bible. We believe the Bible is a divinely inspired record of what we need to know to please God and live a successful life. Believing the Bible requires faith and faith pleases God (Hebrew 11:6).
- You must obey the Bible. James wrote, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” (James 1:22). Suppose you go o the doctor and discover you have ulcer. Because of the doctors expertise you believe his diagnosis. He gives you medicine and a strict diet. What good is his advise if you do not obey what he has told you to do?
If you buy a new car, to will also get an owners manual with it. That mana tells you everything you need to know to get the most efficiency put f the vehicle. The closer you live to the guidelines in the owners manual, the happier you will be with your vehicle. God has given us an owners manual, the Word of God. It is written by the one who designed and created our bodies. The more you live by the owner’s manual the happier you will be.
Without a good foundation our church,family and nation will collapse. The only foundation we can safely build on is the Word of God. It is the book that tells us about Jesus and all else we need to know to live successful and joyful lives